Places to see – hear more
1. Market Square – The main open market and The Empress´ Stone
2. South harbour – Daily ferries to Stockholm & Tallinn and visiting cruise ships
3. Klippan – Island with a beautiful wooden villa from 1890´s
4. Jetty fo washing carpets – see this odd Finnish tradition!
5. Uunisaari Island – 100-year-old popular seaside resort
6. Kaivopuisto – The central park of Helsinki
7. Eira – Beautiful Art Nouveau buildings
8. Sirpalesaari – One of the old industrial islands of Helsinki
9. Pihlajasaari – The best sandy beach in Helsinki?
10. Harakka Island – Former Imperial russian barracks
11. Suomenlinna bay – Former Swedish naval shipyard from 1750´s
Stories of Helsinki – During WW I British submarines operated in the Gulf of Finland to support Imperial Russia. In 1918 3 British ships and 7 submarines including E19 were sunken in the waters of Helsinki before the arrival of the Germans. Hear more stories during the cruise.
12. Suomenlinna Sea Fortress – A UNESCO World Heritage site
13. King´s Gate – Built to honour King Adolf Frederick´s visit in 1752
14. Santahamina – Closed military island for over 200 years
15. Vasikkasaari Island – Summer cottage community
16. Saunasaari – Traditional Finnish smoke saunas
17. Laajasalo – New maritime residential area, old manors and iron mine
18. Korkeasaari – Helsinki Zoo (est. 1889)
19. Tar Island – Former base of the Tar merchants during the Swedish rule
20. Kruununhaka – One of the most exclusive neighbourhoods in Helsinki
21. Icebreakers – The base of the Finnish Icebreaker fleet
22. Orthodox cathedral – The largest in Western Europe